No one likes talking to police, whether for DUI or questions in a criminals case of any kind. You have both responsibilities and rights, regardless of the kind of crime being investigated. It's important to get an attorney on your side.

You May Not Need to Show ID

Many individuals don't know that they aren't required by law to answer all a police officer's questions, even if they are behind the wheel. Even if you do have to prove who you are, you may not have to say more about anything like where you've been or whether you drink, in the case of a drunken driving stop. The U.S. Constitution protects all of us and gives special protections that let you remain quiet or give only partial information. While it's usually a good plan to work nicely with officers, it's important to be aware that you have a right to not incriminate yourself.

Even the best citizens need attorneys. Whether you have driven drunk and pushed the limits of other laws or haven't, you should get advice on legal protections. State and federal laws change often, and different laws apply jurisdictionally. It's also true that laws often get changed during deliberative sessions, and courts are constantly making further changes.

There are Times to Talk

It's best to know your rights, but you should realize that usually the cops aren't out to get you. Most are good men and women, and causing trouble is most likely to harm you in the end. You probably don't want to make cops feel like you hate them. This is yet one more reason to get an attorney such as the expert counsel at family law attorney near me Mukwonago, Wi on your side, especially for interrogation. Your attorney can inform you regarding when you should volunteer information and when staying quiet is a better idea.

Question Permission to Search

You don't have to give permission to search through your home or vehicle. However, if you start to blab, leave evidence everywhere, or grant permission for a search, any knowledge found could be used against you in trial. It's probably best to always refuse searches verbally and let the courts and your defense attorney sort it out later.